Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Let’s BookTalk: The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen


“My life is over. Behind the morphine dreams is the nightmare of reality” (3).

Picture
from GoodReads.com
Jessica was one of the “lucky” students who survived a horrendous bus crash. However, while many of her peers walked away, she did not. Jessica lost her leg in the accident, which for her feels like the end of what she loved to do most, running for her track team. Now, she sits at the back of her class.

Rosa, who is wheelchair bound due to cerebral palsy, welcomes Jessica back after her time in the hospital. Although the two girls never conversed before she helps Jessica catch up on her work in their math class. From their time together, Rosa and Jessica become friends. Jessica learns more than just math from her new friend Rosa.

“That night I have the running dream again. When I wake up, I cry like I always do, but my tears are interrupted by the memory of something new in my dream. A mermaid fountain. A mermaid fountain and Rosa, waving from her porch as I run by” (139).

Jessica discovers that with a special prosthesis she could run again. But, will this mean she will make her running dreams a reality?



No comments:

Post a Comment