Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Let’s BookTalk: I’m OK by Patti Kim

from Goodreads.com

When your name is Ok, how can you be anything but ok?

Ok Lee is a 12 year-old Korean-American who wants to be a good son for his mother and make his father proud, which sometimes makes things less than ok. After his father died in a roofing accident, Ok wants to help make life easier for his mother, but it doesn’t seem to work out that way.

“I stare up at the ceiling. I knuckle my head twelve times, for each year I’ve been alive, mumbling, ‘pabo, pabo, pabo, pabo,’ just as my father would’ve done. Don’t call me stupid. My name is Ok” (p. 9).

In this coming of age story, Ok decides to learn a new skill and a talent in order to help bring in some extra cash. He soon comes to find that he is good at styling hair for the girls at school and everyone feels better with a style form Ok.

“Demand is high. Girls follow me, stop me in the halls, pass me notes. This volume of attention form the opposite sex is unprecedented” (p. 58).

Things seem to be going ok, once he masters a bankable skill, then his mom decides she will re-marry and all Ok can think is that it’s not ok. His father hasn’t been dead long, the man she is betrothed to is a thief, and he can’t help but think she is doing it all for money with an easier lifestyle.

When things aren’t going ok, having Ok for a name can be cruel.

No comments:

Post a Comment